Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weegee: Naked City

Thursday night, I went to the opening reception of the Weegee: Naked City exhibition at the Steven Kasher gallery.  I was first introduced to Weegee in one of the photography classes that I took at Duke.  His gritty crime scene photos intrigued me.  I couldn’t believe his relationship with the NYPD – a photojournalist with a permit for a police-band radio.  Of course, there were the photographs of men in drag, dead bodies, and those arrested.  His manipulation of mug shots are cool, for lack of a better word, they resemble kaleidoscopic images.  I should figure out how to do that in the darkroom.

I had seen most of the crime and jailhouse photographs before but there were some collections I hadn’t seen, such as photos taken at a circus.  My favorite picture from the entire exhibit is of the back of an elephant.  It’s just butt, tail, and hind legs but I really liked it.  The texture of the elephant skin, the tonality, the jet-black background that made the elephant stand out.  There was such a quiet elegance to this photograph, which you wouldn’t assume for the backside of an animal. 

It was nice to walk around the gallery solo.  I didn’t have anyone slowing me down, and I was able to be in and out.  At times, I felt a little awkward typing into my cell phone, as if I wasn’t enjoying being there.  That wasn’t the case, I was just writing notes about the exhibit so that I had some information for my blog posts.  Seeing others talk about the photographs with their friends, made me miss critiquing photos with my photography class.  All the comments that I had about the use of lighting and shadows, and other photographic techniques I had to keep to myself.  Perhaps, I should think about inviting people out to my photographic excursions…

No comments:

Post a Comment