Friday, January 13, 2012

B-B-B-Bacon

A couple hours after telling my grandmother that I never felt more energized, I am completely exhausted.  It’s probably because I woke up earlier than the sun, but I like to think it’s a bacon induced coma.  I almost forgot how awesome bacon could be.  Tonight, I was on my own for dinner, which was fine with me because I wasn’t hungry.  I had no clue what to eat until I opened the freezer and saw the box of bacon.  Bingo!  Didn’t have much of a plan, all I knew was that if I ate anything tonight, it would be bacon.

I ended up making a broccoli, cheddar, and potato bowl that I topped with crispy bacon.  Potatoes fried in bacon grease = yum.  Add cheese and broccoli, even better.  My dinner bowl was a combination of my favorite foods.  I want to say this was a quick and easy meal but it took me a long time to make.  I needed to make sure the potato was cooked all the way through, nothing worse than a great tasting dish with undercooked potatoes.  All in all, the meal wasn’t too unhealthy.  I made sure that I had two servings of broccoli, and I kept the skin on the potatoes.  Honestly, there is no reason to try and rationalize this.  I ate what I wanted and enjoyed it, enough said.

Since I underestimated how much bacon grease the bacon would  produce, I had to drain the potatoes before I added the broccoli and cheese.  Now, I have almost a quarter cup of bacon fat chilling in my fridge.  I’m already planning what I can add it to – vegetables, eggs, meat, the possibilities are endless.  I did look up the health risks of using too much bacon fat, but it’s not as if I eat like this every day.  Also, I think it’s best to indulge a craving now to prevent over-indulgence in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment