Sunday, January 8, 2012

Please No Photos

Two days ago, I was talking with a good friend about the lack of photos we have of New Years Eve.   Going out this year was big for us because it was the first time either of us did not have to ring in the New Year with family.  You would think we would take pictures to commemorate this occasion, but that would make too much sense.  I took more photos at the party I threw for my parents NYE 2011. 

This made me think about the digital vs. film debate and color vs. B&W.  Most people use digital cameras so I guess digital vs. film has become an irrelevant debate.  I miss the tactile nature of film photography, although when I get my film processed I get a CD made instead of prints.  Then, there’s the color vs. B&W debate.   Winter is made for B&W photography because of the starkness and the lack the vibrant colors.  However, there’s the past holiday season.  Everyone goes out dressed to the nines.  Color photography would capture all the glitz and the glam with their subtle or not so subtle nuances better than B&W.  Also, B&W photos of people partying seem a bit too trendy and phony, as if the photographer is trying too hard to class up the event.  Clearly, this does not apply to all pictures but the ones by amateurs on social networking sites. 
Perhaps by the end of this challenge I will a definitive answer to the debates and figure out why I do not have many photos.  Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment