Thursday, January 19, 2012

Is One Girl Cookie Overrated?

Last night, I went to the One Girl Cookies book launch at Powerhouse.  I was late because of work, but the parts of the discussion I heard were good.  Of course, I took out my notebook to write some things down.  I’m pretty sure I was the only one writing things down, but I didn’t want to rely solely on memory. 
The duo behind One Girl Cookies is Dawn Casale and David Crafton.  Dawn started the company on her own, and brought David on later and eventually married him.  Hearing them talk about their bakery and interact with the audience, made me more interested in them and their baked goods.  David’s answers seemed authentic, especially when he answered the question: what does he hope to get out of this cook book? 

David: I’ll be happy if there are dog-eared copies in people’s kitchens and they’re baking.  Even if they forget who the One Girl Cookies duo is, I’ll just be happy that they’re cooking.  Not verbatim but pretty close to it.

That comment completely won me over and made me a fan.  I guess I’m a sap, but it was heart-warming to hear that his goal was for families to spend time together making delicious treats.  In a time where people don’t seem to sit down for meals together or even cook their meals, it’s great to hear someone make family cooking/baking a priority.

Now on to their infamous whoopie pies.  One girl in the audience raved about the baked goods and honestly she seemed a bit like a crazed fanatic, and after I tried the whoopie pies I think she just might be crazy. After the talk, I go over to try to the whoopie pies – one banana and one chocolate.  Wasn’t really a fan of either.  The cake/cookie part was dry, in their defense it was the end of the day but yeah, definitely didn’t sell them to me.  Even worse, the chocolate whoopie pie had a mint frosting sandwiched in between.  This is just a personal preference but the only chocolate-mint combo I like is in  Thin Mints.  The banana whoopie pie was much better and reminded me of banana bread.  The vanilla frosting in this pie was too sweet for me.  At least I could eat the entire banana whoopie pie, I had to throw the chocolate whoopie pie out (I waited until I left the event, so I wouldn’t be rude).

After this event, I don’t think I’ll make much of an effort to stop by the One Girl Cookies bakery.   I liked the couple, but wasn’t a fan of their desserts.  Perhaps, this is because I am extremely picky about the desserts I eat, and very rarely like desserts that aren’t made by family members or myself.  Either way, I wasn’t sold on their goods. It could just be that I don’t like whoopie pies and might like something else of theirs.  Will I ever know?

No comments:

Post a Comment