Sunday, January 8, 2012

Turkey and Dumpling* Soup

Unfortunately, when I made the soup I did not take a picture so there’s no record of how awesome it looked. Not to toot my own horn, toot toot, but when I heated the soup at work my coworkers said it smelled delicious.  And trust, it tasted delicious too.

Also, this is going to be one of those recipe posts that food bloggers tell you not to write.  When I cook for my family or myself, I do not measure anything.  I eyeball measurements and taste as I go along.  Especially, when I’m making soup from leftovers.  This may not be the ‘right’ way to cook, but it works for me.   Then again, there is no right or wrong way to cook.  I am just happy to be in the kitchen. 

  •          5 oz of mixed frozen vegetables
  •          Turkey: 1 back, 2 wings, 1 leg. Meat pulled off the bone
  •          1 heaping tea spoon of Better than Bullion chicken base
  •          Season salt, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  •          ½ cup Complete pancake mix
  •          1 tbsp butter, melted
  •          ¼ cup milk


1.  Dump the first four ingredients into a soup pot and fill with water until the turkey back is fully submerged.  Bring to a boil. The soup will look a bit pale and watery, but don’t worry.  It will adopt a creamy color and consistency once the dumplings have been added.
2. Combine the pancake mix, butter, and milk.  Drop by spoonfuls into the soup, once the soup tastes as desired.
3. Enjoy!

* The dumplings disappear when the soup is reheated.  The soup still tastes great, but if you want to eat a dumpling eat the soup the first day you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment