Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bittersweet Kinder-photos

Yesterday, I found out that I would no longer be teaching kindergarten.  I had been feeling pushed out of my classroom and the boss made it official yesterday.  It’s not that I’m a bad teacher or the children don’t like me, it’s that the 1st grade teacher is going on maternity leave soon and someone needs to cover her class.  I was hoping the new teacher would take it over, but not.  Ugh.  I definitely teared up a bit, and was grateful that I had the time to walk outside.  I didn’t want to breakdown in front of the kids, so that was good.  Who knew I’d care so much about these kids? I sure didn’t.  I don’t even really like kids; at least I don’t think I do.
Anyway, this post is supposed to be about photography.  I finally brought my Holga to the school.  I took a group photo of the students who cooperated, candids, and portraits of the kids who wanted their own photos.  They were so excited to see a camera and had so many questions about what I was doing.  Why was I looking into the camera?  What did I see?  I was able to show the curious students the different parts of the camera, and  how to take a picture.  I didn’t think to show them how to advance the film or how to use the rudimentary zoom functions.  I’d say they could learn next time, but there won’t be a next time. 
The funniest part of this sad moment was when I let the students use the camera.  They wanted to take self-portraits.  I do not know how these pictures will turn out.  I don’t even think they took a picture of their entire face.  I can’t wait to have the film developed and show the students the photos that they took.  Basically, I’m using any excuse to visit my former class.  Oh , the hazards of leaving teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment