Monday, January 9, 2012

Smoky Pea Soup

No photo of this soup.  I made this soup in the weekend after Thanksgiving and did not think about taking a picture to blog about it.  I was in the mood for split pea soup, but didn’t have any and was too broke to buy some.  Yep, I could not afford split peas. Thank goodness I am no longer in that place.  Anyway, the only peas in my apartment were frozen.  After some online research, gotta love Google, I found out that I could make a soup with frozen peas.  The following recipe is something I came up with on my own after being inspired by others’ recipes.

  •          2 boxes of frozen sweet peas
  •          ¼ cup onion, chopped
  •          2 slices bacon, chopped
  •          1 tbsp Better than Bullion* chicken
  •          5 cups of water
  •          Season salt and pepper to taste
  •          1 medium baked potato, flesh only
  •          1 pinch of fenugreek

1.  Sautee the bacon and onion together in a medium pot.  
2.  Put the peas, water, Better than Bullion, potato, and spices into the pot and bring to a boil. 
3.  Once boiling, reduce the flame until soup simmers.  Let simmer until the peas are cooked through.
4.  Cool slightly, and pour soup into a blender.  Blend until the soup is completely smooth.
5.  Pour back into pot and let simmer if soup is too thin.  Cook until desired thickness.
6. Enjoy!

*I have been using Better than Bullion in all my soups because it adds great flavor and is easier than making chicken stock. By all means use chicken stock if readily available.

The fenugreek gave the soup tremendous depth and a delicious aroma.  The flavor paired well with the smokiness of the bacon.  I got the fenugreek from a spice seminar at the Queens Public Library. Unfortunately, someone threw away my spice.  *cough* Grandma *cough*

No comments:

Post a Comment