Sunday, January 15, 2012

It is Hot, Hot, Hot

Last week, my co-workers and I ordered pad thai from Spicy Shallot, a Thai restaurant in Woodside.  It was good, but the furthest thing from spicy.  The only hot sauce in the office was Sriracha, an Asian hot sauce that I had seen before but stayed away from.  My friends who have used it like super spicy food, so I figured it was not the move for me.  I’ve never been a fan of heat, I find that it takes away from the flavor and all I can taste is hot.  However, that day I decided to be adventurous.  Before I added it to my dish, I tasted the Sriracha solo.  Bad move.  My eyes started watering, my nose started running, and I started choking.  Even after all that, I added some to my pad thai.  It was a shock at first, but as I ate, I got used to the heat and started to enjoy it.  A few days later, I ordered it again.  The conference room we ate in was freezing, and the Sriracha warmed me right up.  Good move.
Spicy, but good in small quantities.


On Saturday, my boss ordered lunch for the office.  I can’t say what I ate exactly but it was delicious, until… Until, I almost died.  I just started my class, and came to the break room after everyone had already begun.  I passed my plate down the table and asked them to put some of everything on it.  As I was eating, I noticed something spicy.  It was a little hotter than I liked, but it was edible .  Then, I bit into something that set my mouth on fire.  I was choking, tearing, everything.  The boss laughed and said that’s what happens when you let people pick food for you.  Seeing that I was dying, another teacher cautioned me that one dish had burnt chili peppers and that I should avoid them.  It was almost a little too late, but at least I knew what to avoid on my plate.

Death! Avoid, avoid, avoid.

After my spice adventures of the past week, I will be staying away from all things spicy for some time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment