Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The True Cost of Food, OMS Part 1

Here’s a link to the first part in this series.  I know the follow up has been a long time coming.  The event kicked off with a screening of a cartoon called The True Cost of Food.  The main point was to show viewers that they cannot afford to eat the conventional way.  To me, it way oversimplified the situation.  However, what can you expect from a cartoon.  

My main point of contention is that it touts how cheap local and organic food is, and how farmers markets are affordable.  I have been to farmers markets’ and the produce is not always that affordable.  I get that it may be cheaper in the long run because medical costs would be lower, but how many people can control for that in the present? Especially, in these tumultuous economic times.  I know the issue is more complicated than that but I have issues with such blatant over-statements.

I intended on giving a play-by-play of the most important scenes, but I found the short film on youtube.  Here it is below, you really should check it out and form your own opinions.  It’s only 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment