Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Organics Made Simple, Intro


As an unemployed person, I became a semi-hermit.  At one point, I noticed I had not left my apartment in over a week.  No bueno.  Deciding that I had to get out of the house for fear of my brain turning to mush, I went to the library.  Why? It’s free, I could walk there, and I wanted to be more active.  Read: I didn’t want to spend $4.50 roundtrip to go twenty blocks. On my way out, I noticed some brightly colored flyers announcing organic food events at the library.  Not doing much with my life, I decided to check them out.  What else was I doing?

All that to get to main topic of this post, I tend to go on tangents so bear with me.  I went to the Organic Food Facts Made Simple with Gary Feldman event after work last Monday.  It was an interesting event with an eclectic crowd. There were nineteen of us in attendance, and many of us were frantically scribbling down notes. I heard some things that I already knew, those that I didn’t, and even a conspiracy theory or two.  At times, I felt that the speaker was bordering on the paternalistic.  But, if anything, he had passion.  He shocked this one woman so much that her eyes seemed to be permanently bugged out. If she had put her hands to her face, she would have looked like this.

His main point = Cancers and other maladies are linked to the herbicides and pesticides used in conventional agriculture.  Therefore, organic food will save your life.  Definitely a little over-simplistic, but that was the main gist of his lecture.

As my posts tend to veer on the long side, I’ve decided to turn my review of this event into a series of blog posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment